Saturday, June 13, 2009

Scrubbed


It's four:twenty-something in the morning, so why am I up, half-conscious, writing a new blog entry? I am at my grandmother's condo in St. Petersburg, FL. I got here yesterday after a long drive from Atlanta. While it's always nice to come to sunny Florida for some downtime and visit my grandmother, I had an ulterior motive for this trip.

Nearly as long as I've been alive, I've wanted to watch a Space Shuttle launch. I still remember getting up early when I was in kindergarten to see the very first launch of Columbia way back when. Whenever I've been able to get to a television to see a launch or landing, I make sure to watch. I love the space program and the innovation, determination, and courage that it represents. But I've never actually made it to Florida to see a launch in person. Since they are ending the Shuttle program after next year, I'm determined to see a launch of the vehicle that introduced me to America's space program. I was sure that the June 13, 2009 launch of Endeavor would be my chance.

But no. Some sort of fuel system venting leak has resulted in NASA scrubbing the launch for at least 96 hours. I have to be back at work on Monday, so my best hope for this one is that they hold it off until the next launch window in July when I'm on a longer vacation break. However, if that doesn't work then the next launch is scheduled for August....

http://www.nasa.gov/

(Image from NASA TV)

1 comment: